Shortly after returning from the Civil War, Mr. Geo. D. Warthen entered the mercantile business in partnership with Jeff A. Irwin, Sr. and began business in a building on West Haynes St. (Present location of Karol's).
In 1871, a rear corner of the building was partitioned off and they entered the banking business under the name of Warthen & Irwin, Bankers, private bank, not incorporated.
This firm grew and continued to operate until 1915, at which time Mr. Jeff A. Irwin Sr. withdrew from the partnership. Subsequently, Mr. Warthen operated under the name of The Geo. D. Warthen Bank, private bank, not incorporated, until his death in 1927.
Early in 1928, a state banking charter was obtained and the bank continued to operate as The Geo. D. Warthen Bank. In 1932, a national charter was obtained and the bank's name became The Geo. D. Warthen National Bank. The bank continued to operate as a national bank until the mid-fifties, when the national charter was surrendered and a new state charter obtained. The bank has operated as a state chartered bank since that time.
Today the bank is the oldest in Washington County and enjoys a reputation as a leading business both in the county and surrounding area.